In babies 28 days or younger if they have a fever they have to run a bunch of tests. Some for meningitis and a bunch of other bacterial diseases. I was certain it was just a cold since we had all had a cold the week before but they had to run the tests anyway just in case. They had to start an IV and draw a bunch of blood and suction out his snot for a viral test and then they had to do a Lumbar Puncture and draw out some of his spinal fluid. That part was the hardest for me. My poor little baby was poked and prodded and hurt and bothered and all he wanted was to be held. I sat in the chair bawling the whole time. I am so lucky Mike was there. He helped hold Aiden and was able to comfort him a bit and was a great support to me as I was having an emotional break down. The finished all of the poking and then had to do a chest x-ray.
After all that they admitted us for a 48 hour observation while they waited for all the test results to come back. Mikes mom was kind enough to take Evy and Ethan over night for us so Mike could stay with me in the hospital that night. The next morning gammie brought the kids to Mike at home and then he was able to take them to Chelsea's house where she was great enough to watch them all day for us while Mike worked. I stayed at the hospital with Aiden for the next day and a half while they pumped him full of antibiotics. Mike brought the kids to visit before bed and we got dinner at the little cafe they have there. Pretty good food for a hospital. His fever broke that night too but sadly they had to redo his IV since his other one kept clotting up. On Wednesday morning we were released and Mike came and got us at 10 that morning. Aiden did just have a cold so all the antibiotics were pointless but oh well. We did what we had to do to make sure he was healthy. On a positive note, at least Aiden didn't have to have surgery like Ethan did at that age. I am just glad that we are all home together and that we are all finally healthy.
![]() |
| Poor kid was covered in wires. Hear rate monitor, O2 monitor, breaths per minute monitor, and IVs :( |
![]() |
| All cuddled up. This is how I spent the majority of my time in the hospital. In the rocking chair holding Aiden. |




2 comments:
So sad that all those things were done, but I'm glad they ruled out anything that could have been super serious. Just colds for babies aren't fun either. Poor guy...poor mommy! Glad that everything is well, now, and he is back home!
I am so sorry! I would be a basket case! Hope things start looking up. Sick kids are no fun, especially as newborns!
Post a Comment