Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A memorial service

In December Mikes grandpa passed away. The family decided to do a memorial service in June so that all his kids could be there since they live all over the place. So on June 10th we packed the car and headed out for the 5 hour drive to his grandmas house. We were going to stay 2 nights and spend time with the family since they were all there. We took our tent since the house was going to be full and were able to put it up in the back yard. The kids did really well in the car ride there. We got to the house at 7 and had dinner and set up the tent and then we all just sat around and talked with each other. Evylee loved sleeping in the tent and we had bought a new air mattress so that we didn't have to deal with the deflation of the other one. It worked really well and I must say I am glad we got it because that night it got really cold. So cold that we had to put the kids in our bed and put their blankets on top of us. It was insane how cold it was. It hurt my ears at one point but with every one in the bed we stayed warm. The next day was the memorial service. We had brought our sunday clothes and went to put them on but grandma told us that grandpa wouldn't want it formal so we got to wear our jeans. As part of the service Mike and his mom and siblings did a music part. They did prelude music and they did a song just for grandpa. Emily sang Homeward Bound and I honestly was totally fine until she was sining and looked and me and started crying. So then I started and it just went down hill from there. Only very few people can make me cry just because I see them crying and Emily is one of them. Her song was beautiful and accompanied by her family including Mike on his cello. We have been married almost five years and this was the first time I heard him play his cello. He got it out when his mom asked him to do the music with them. I loved sitting through the practices and enjoyed every minute i got to hear Mike play. He sounded so beautiful and made me love him even more. There are not words that can describe how I felt when Mike started playing, I didn't know something could sound so beautiful and the fact that my husband was making it sound that way was awesome. Anyway, the music for the memorial service was great and the rest was really good too. All grandpas kids got up and said a few things about him that they remembered and then we all enjoyed each others company and had cookies and lemonade. Later that night after everyone had left Ben (Mikes cousin) Emily, Joe, Mike, and I all went to see X-men first class. It was a great movie. After that we all went back to the house and talked a bit more then went to bed. Oh, a little note on Evylee, she was glued to Mikes cousin Ben. He just turned 14 and he loved her. She didn't leave his side the whole time we were there. I thought it was pretty cute at how close they are. Makes me feel good :)  On sunday after breakfast we headed home. Potts got to come with us on the trip and it was a life savor. He kept the kids happy and made the trip so much easier. We got to potts house at 4 and had dinner with them then went home and enjoyed the rest of our night together. It was a weekend of a lot of emotions but it was still a good weekend and it was nice to see the family. 






No comments: