Sunday, June 24, 2012

My pregnancy so far... 27 weeks

So this is mainly for me for future reference. Since I have never kept a record of my pregnancies with the other kids. So I am going to go from the beginning to now on everything I can remember.

Around September of last year I was starting to feel like I wanted another baby but was battling with myself on wether or not it was the right time and if I wanted to be pregnant again. (For anyone who knows me I have hard pregnancies and dislike them very much but I love the end product.) I had several days of crying to Mike and not knowing what to feel or think or anything. I remember being so confused on if it was the right time or not and if we would be able to make it with me having to work and finding sitters and so on. Well in October during general conference I had to work that Saturday so I missed the entire session. I remember on Sunday hoping and praying for guidance on the subject but there was none. I was heartbroken. I thought for sure I would hear something or feel something that would say everything would work out just fine and that it was the right decision to start trying but sadly nothing... until I was sitting at my Uncle Clints house and he mentioned one of the talks from Saturday. I had planned on reading the Saturday session when it came out in the Ensign but he said something to spark the feeling in me to find that talk and read it. I told Mike about it and being the wonderful man he is got on the LDS website and found a link to the talk so we could watch it. It was the talk entitled "Children" by Neil L. Andersen. We watched the clip together and the whole time I was crying like a baby. I had an overwhelming feeling that i had been looking for that we needed to start trying and that everything would work. After all in the talk he asked "Where is your faith?" So naturally after that I went off birth control and we decided to just see what happened.

Well with all my other pregnancies it took about 3 months to get the birth control out of my system and have a positive test. This time it only took 2 months. We found out at the end of January and for the first time ever I was able to tell mike with out him guessing first! Usually it goes like "Hey guess what hun" and he says "you're pregnant." and surprise gone. But this time I caught him off guard. I was very proud of myself for that. :)

Well as many of you know my first trimester is usually the easiest for me. I am not sick, maybe queazy here and there but never ill. So that first three months went by just fine. Gained a little weight but continued working out 3 days a week with my friend who has agreed to watch the kids while I work and take the baby too after it is born. I was feeling great, I was able to go in at 10 weeks and see the baby on the ultrasound machine the office has. We confirmed it was just one. Which I was incredibly happy about. I always stress out that there is going to be two. Like I said before, I would love to have 2 babies I just don't think I could handle being pregnant with 2 babies. So I went on with my life happy that we were adding baby #3 to our family. Then came the second trimester.

The second trimester was really really hard for me there for a while. It started with me getting some pretty bad pelvic pains like I did when I was pregnant with Evy. These pains started at 16 weeks. What happens is that the hormone Relaxin is released when you are pregnant and with me it attacks my pelvis. So as I walk I can literally feel my pelvic bone grinding and shifting. It is incredibly painful and makes it really hard to walk, or sit or lay down, or roll over in bed. Anything you do with your legs is hard to do because of the pressure it puts on my pelvis. Well that pain I was anticipating because I had it with the other pregnancies and it just gets worse the further along I get. Well this pregnancy added a surprise pain that we still have not been able to figure out. It was located around my tail bone. When I would sit down or have any pressure in that area it would just be unbearable. It started out as an annoyance and got worse and worse until I could not move. I would be sitting and try to stand and it would bring tears to my eyes it hurt so bad. I got to the point that I had to lay my chair at work all the way back and lay on my side while trying to type just so I didn't scream out in pain at work.

On April 19th we had our scheduled ultrasound to find out the gender and make sure things were going good. Mike took the day off so he could come with me and we left the kids at his mom's house. We got to the office and waited 5 min. Then we were called back. The doctor doing the ultrasound was a really sweet lady. She went through to make sure everything was growing right and to get measurements. Then she said "Well it is definitely a boy!" I was very excited. I was happy with either but I was so happy that I could use my dads' name. We decided on Aiden Kent for a boy a few days earlier and it felt amazing when they said that he was a boy because all of a sudden he was this little person and he had a name and I just felt like I could connect to him even more. Mike and I were so happy. We called and texted everyone the news. Evy was kinda disappointed at first because she really wanted a sister but as soon as we told her that he was named after grandpa she was so excited and has been looking forward to having another brother in the house.

A few days later I finally couldn't take the pain in my tail bone any more and called my doctor to see if he could figure it out. He had me come in and checked and found nothing. He had never heard of this happening with out some sort of physical indication that there was something wrong. He was afraid that it may not be related to the pregnancy and that something could be really wrong so he contacted radiology and talked to them about the possibility of getting an x-ray. He said he would call when he had consulted with a few doctors he knew. Until then he gave me a prescription for Lortab for the pain. I was very afraid to take any because of the baby so I held off until I absolutely needed it.
Well I went to my mother in laws house to get the kids and head home so I could rest. I got there and she said I could go and turn in my prescription while she watched the kids. So I ran down to Walgreens and handed it in and went back to my mother in laws house to wait the hour they said it would be. I laid on her couch for the whole hour trying to relax for the drive home since sitting was so painful. So I got the kids in the car and headed to Walgreens. I got there and decided to go through the drive through to "save time." An hour later with no way to go but forward since there was a car in front and behind be I finally got the prescription. By this time I was in so much pain I was crying. I texted Mike telling him I was coming to see him for a minute since I just needed him there with me to make it better. By the time I got to work I was full on hysterical when Mike got out. I was in so much pain and could not move. On top of the tail bone pain my pelvis had somehow gotten stuck in a weird position and I was unable to move my legs. Mike got to the car and realized there was something wrong. He helped me out of the car, slowly and very carefully, and put me in the passenger seat laying on my side with the seat all the way back. The pain was cut in half after that and slowly got better since there was no more pressure. He ran upstairs to his office to let his co-workers know that he was leaving early for the day to help me. (Can I just say he is the best.) He drove us all back to his moms house, since it was closest, so I could lay down and rest a little.
We got there and half an hour later my doctor, himself, called and said that he wanted me to go in for an x-ray to see if there was anything wrong. So we got back in the car and drove to the hospital. We went to radiology and they had us go and register and then head in to the waiting room for the x-ray. We waited for a couple minutes then a nice nurse came and got me and took me to the x-ray room. I let her know that I was pregnant and very nervous about having this done and she understood completely. She covered and then double covered me with the lead covers to ensure that the baby was safe. She was very careful to make sure the machine was in the exact right spot so we only had to do it once. She took the picture and had the doctor check it to make sure it was good enough quality and then said I could go.
We went home and I laid on my side all night long trying to rest enough for work the next day. That Thursday at work was the only day I took the Lortab. It affected the way my brain worked and did nothing for the pain. So I figured there was no use in taking it. That day at work was horrible. I hurt so bad and was trying to lay down enough to take pressure off and still be able type and work. I ended up getting off early because I couldn't take it any more and had Mike come get me and take me home. I had that Saturday (April 28th) off because it was my grandparents 50th anniversary so I got to rest all day on Friday and most of the day on Saturday. At the anniversary party I put on my "happy, I am totally fine, no worries" face and tried to not make a big deal about things. Every time I had to get out of my chair Mike would help me up and give me a hug to hide the fact that he was just keeping me from collapsing on the floor until I was able to steady myself and get over the pain. At the end of the night I asked my dad, brother and Mike to give me a blessing. Chelsea watched the kids, my mom came in the room and my brother started the blessing. Mike finished up and in it I was told that I didn't have to worry about the baby and that he was fine and that I would be able to do my day to day life stuff, that I would be able to take care of my kids and work and be able to handle the pain. I was told that all I had to do was ask for help and everyone around me would be more then willing to help me out and I was told that God knew what was happening and what I was going through and that he loved me for going through it to bring this new life into the world. I was instantly comforted and knew everything was going to be ok, it was just going to take a little while.
Well day by day the pain got better and better and easier to handle. With in 2 weeks I was able to drive myself to work again and get out of the car with out any help. Now I am able to sit all day at work and then jump up out of my chair with very little pain. The blessing was right, the pain got to a point where it was bearable but not gone. Even my pelvic pain has subsided enough that I am able to at least walk around the grocery store and not end up using the cart as a crutch. It has been nice to be able to clean the house and work and play with the kids and walk around stores and sit on chairs with out wanting to cry. The pain is still there but is very mild and only now and then my pelvis will twinge weird for a second and then I am good. When I went to the doctor for the follow up he let me know that he couldn't find anything in the x-ray and that he didn't know what was wrong. I told him that it was feeling better and that I was ok now. He was very relieved and astounded that it got better by itself. That is the power of the priesthood. I am So Grateful for the men in my life being worthy to hold the priesthood and be there for me and the family in any time of need.

As of today I am 27 weeks and 5 days. Every now and then I have really bad back pain but it is only on days that I work for the most part. I also get a weird feeling like my stomach goes to sleep when I engage my abs when I try to sit up sometimes it isn't painful just really weird.

Mike was able to feel Aiden move for the first time on June 20th. I am feeling him move on a pretty regular schedule now which I love. I love to know that he is still ok and healthy. I love this little boy just as much as I do my other kids. He is already a part of our family and we are so excited to meet him. I am going to start doing updates on things that happen along the way until we get to see our little man.

5 comments:

Seth and Sierra said...

That is a beautiful blessing. I'm so glad you're not in as much pain, anymore! That's absolutely no fun. Yay for Mike! You married a good man :) Glad we're related. Hope to see you guys again soon!

The Triplett Family said...

Wow, what a situation! Glad to hear things are starting to look up for you.

Trisha said...

I almost completely understand- with the tumor I have, my second trimester was spent mostly on Lortab and it didn't alleviate the pain. Just helped me relax. These babies put us through so much but they are so worth it! Keep staying strong!!

Elise said...

I'm sorry you've had such a tough time and I'm glad you are feeling some relief. It's so fun when you start feeling the baby move regularly. It's my favorite part!

Hubers said...

Pregnancy can be so tough, but so worth it. It's amazing how hard it is on your body. Way to keep it up! You are doing a great job!